Donating by SMS has proven itself as a highly successful fundraising platform for charities worldwide. Over the past two years, Text Giving has been successfully trialled by 20 charities across Australia, thanks to Telstra, Optus, Vodafone and mobile engagement provider OpenMarket, who joined forces with Telco Together to launch the pilot.
Based on the positive results of the pilot, the Text Giving program will be rolled out to up to 500 Australian charities in 2018. With texting firmly embedded in Australian culture, the immediacy and convenience of donating via text will now enable anyone with an eligible mobile phone service provided by Telstra, Optus or Vodafone to securely donate to their chosen charity anywhere, anytime the mood strikes.
Text Giving enables charities to include an SMS ‘call to action’, (e.g. “Text GIVE to 19 xx xxxx to donate $5”) in their fundraising campaign materials. Inspired donors can then simply text the keyword, with the $5 donation amount being charged to their mobile phone bill. This is a simple and secure way to give.
Charity Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible to access text giving in future, charities must:
- Hold Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) status
- Hold and maintain relevant state-based Fundraising Licences
- Be able to provide a customer helpline from 9am-5pm Monday-Friday throughout the campaign period (regulatory requirement for PSMS content providers)
Responsibilities of Participating Charities
Participating charities will be required to:
- Work with SMS aggregator and Telco Together Foundation to ensure their campaign materials and SMS message flows comply with applicable regulation for PSMS content providers
- Be responsible for all promotion and marketing of this fundraising channel
- Agree to take part in program review at the conclusion of their campaign.
- Agree to a setup fee and associated management costs